Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fruity Pebble Cupcakes

For some reason, I've been having cravings for Fruity Pebbles lately. I have two bags full at home. The first few days I had them, I just had typical milk and cereal. Mmmm. Then I thought well they're good in milk, why wouldn't they be good in ice cream? So I bought some vanilla frozen yogurt, sprinkled with those yummy multi-colored fruit-flavored sugar flakes... tasty tasty! And then, Chris needed to take some sort of dessert to work for a meeting so I thought.... Fruity Pebble Cupcakes!



I just made cupcakes from a basic yellow cake mix (from a box because I had one I've been needing to use anyway).

Chris wanted them to have a cream filling, so we made some cheesecake Jello pudding, let it set up, then used my new cake decorator tool to inject a blob into each cupcake. Later we discovered that the pudding in each one ended up just absorbing into the cake, making it super-moist. This improved the taste and texture of the cupcake, but we lost the cream blob idea we were going for.

We l-o-v-e cream cheese frosting. I debated between buying both cream cheese and powdered sugar to make my own, or just being lazy and opting for a pre-made jar. I figured I'm already using box cake mix, so I caved and took the easy way out and got just a tub of whipped cream cheese frosting. But I thought white frosting on yellow cake would look a little boring. So I added a few drops of red food coloring - and I got the perfectly pink cream cheese frosting I was aiming for. :)

Finally, the best part - sprinkling each yellow and pink cupcake with the beloved Fruity Pebbles. They were pretty, yummy, and pretty yummy. Unfortunately, there was only one left over after the meeting, so that's all I got. Probably best for me anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment