Friday, June 3, 2011

Honey Almond Honeycomb Cake

For my birthday, my parents got me a Honey Almond bundt cake mix and a honeycomb shaped cake pan, both from Williams-Sonoma. So about a month later on Memorial Day I decided to try it out!




 I just followed the recipe on the box, nothing special. Beat 2 sticks of butter (yes, 2 sticks.... mmm) in an electric mixture until smooth. Add the flavored sugar packet that comes in the mix and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add 4 eggs, lightly beaten, a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Finally, add the cake mix and 1 cup of milk in separate additions - add some mix, then half the milk, then more mix, then the rest of the milk, then the last of the mix. Beat until blended, but don't over mix. I always wish recipes would be more specific on what that means, I never know when is too much.

Then for some odd reason, I guess the honeycomb pan wasn't made big enough because you're supposed to take out 1 cup of the batter before adding to the greased and floured. You can pour it into a smaller pan to make a mini-cake! Then bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. I ended up having to bake it for maybe 15 minutes longer because it wasn't setting up all the way in the middle.



When done, let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then flip the pan over to dump out the cake onto a cookie sheet/cooling rack. In the meantime, make the honey glaze: Melt 2-3 Tbsp butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1/2 cup honey and 2 Tbsp water and stir until it simmers. I also added a blurb of vanilla extract and a sprinkle of brown sugar.



When the cake is out (but before fully cooled) brush the glaze onto the cake. Let cool completely before serving. I sprinkled it with powdered sugar and served it with blueberries, strawberries, and vanilla ice cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment