Sunday, February 5, 2012

Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Maple Buttercream

So I know it's been for-ev-er since I've posted anything, but I have been baking so I have a lot to catch up on. Even though it is now February, I'll start with where I left off back in the fall with these super-rich sweet potato cupcakes that I made for Thanksgiving. I got the inspiration from one of my favorite cupcakes from Sara Sara in OKC. This recipe doesn't quite match theirs, but it was pretty good and a good finish to a wonderful meal.



Ingredients:
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
1 can (17 oz) sweet potato puree
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine flour, baking bowder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Whisk together and set aside.


Cream together butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, followed by vanilla and sweet potato puree.


Slowly stir in the dry ingredients. Add to lined muffin tins and bake at 350 for 18 minutes.


Once cooled, add frosting.

Maple buttercream frosting:
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 teaspoon maple extract (this made it really maple-y, so you could cut down on this if you don't want such a strong flavor)

Beat cream cheese and butter until well combined. Add powdered sugar in portions. Stir in vanilla and maple extract.

After frosting, I topped mine with a sprinkling of cinnamon. Yum yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment